17 febrero 2012
i am not sure how i feel about doing this. if you have read me for a while, you know my struggles with ... painting. sure, i can make an awesome image, or a curious collage, all kinds of silly cut-uppery. but painting ... help! although i long desperately to do it. i don't know why. i don't want to paint *things* - puppies, people, flowers, landscapes, etc. i don't even want to paint crusty old houses, the ones i love so much. i just want to make color and marks and texture.
occasionally i take it upon myself to give it a good wrestle.
so for the last week, while i have been having an irritating relapse of whatever bug bit me a couple of weeks ago, i have starting "playing" (ie - tormenting myself) with paints. most of my output was put into the garbage earlier this week. but a few i kept working on. like this one - one of a triptych with small epilogue. i'm not sure it is finished. since i last worked on it, i have discovered new textures and processes, so i might do more. so maybe this is still in progress.
i don't think i have ever shown a painting in progress in my public journal. maybe not even a painting at all? so this is a big deal to me. (if it lasts here later than midnight. ha.)
i can't bear to work on straight white canvas, so i put old paper down first. in retrospect, i wish the paper were not so even and balanced, but more ragged. i think the background is way too muddy, not the delicate layers i wished for. i love the glops though. since i am so intimidated by the brush and the paint, i started making monoprints, layering those. and they are BIG FUN. i LOVE randomness - and this is the ultimate in random surprise. the gold glitter looks odd on scan, but sweet in reality. i am not sure if i will finish with a gloss varnish or beeswax. i am not sure if there need to be more marks. i am quite fond of pencil marks. hmmm...
anyway, critique, questions, suggestions. all welcome.
gulp.
Suscribirse a:
Comentarios de la entrada (Atom)


4 comentarios:
while i too find painting a challenge (for me to look at i've given up trying it for the reasons you state) due to the flatness and sometimes i think its all be done before and before and before...i can still allow myself to enjoy seeing something (it helps when i know the person online).
having said that, i found this unique and interesting. i like the colors and the shapes....just wish it werent so flat :) but that is the price of painting!!!
bobbi - i say just keep going!!! there's something about paint that's magic...
i don't think that painting is flat... nope...
xoxo
p.s. i got the red petticoat and i LOVE it. : )
Mightily intrigued. Keep going!
I have a love hate relationship with painting. I love good paintings, love them like nothing else. And I love to paint, the act of it itself.
But I can't get what I want out of the image in the way I can in photoshop. My own technical limitations, esp. crippled with a bad eye for color. And impatience.
Anyway, what I've settled on, and it is terrible, is that I will copy paintings that I love so I can hang them in my home and look at them. That way all the technical questions have all been wrestled with and all I have to do is approximate it as best I can.
so, I don't know. keep painting, is what. I think it is very good for us to work the muscles that are not our good, strong muscles. Working the weaker ones makes us stronger all around. And it is fun. And it makes you a better photographer. It wakes your eye.
listen to me ramble.
yrs-
Scott
Publicar un comentario